Monday, March 31, 2008

Not as I will....

"My Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me; nevertheless, not as I will, but as you will." (Matt. 26:39)


These words came from the mouth of Christ. He was just hours away from being hung on a cross like a criminal. I can't even begin to imagine the thoughts going through His head. YET He was still so humble...in this time of the worst pain ever experienced in history, Jesus denied His own will to His Father's. Even though He was God Himself, His statement is just amazing, and something that every believer should pray every day.

God's will is perfect; it never changes. It has authority over all things. But sometimes when a trial may arise in our lives, we are quick to blame God and wonder why He would do something like this to His children. Yes, we do not understand the circumstances, but that's the mystery of God's will. We don't know the future, but we should always take comfort in knowing it's in God's hands.

This applies to even the little things that may make us irritated or upset during the day. Maybe you accidentally erased your 10-page report you've been working on for weeks. Maybe you spill your drink all over your shirt. Maybe you stub your toe on the wall. Maybe someone finished all the ice cream in the freezer when you wanted some. And all these things I know I would respond to with a negative attitude. However, just thinking "no! i didn't want this to happen!" is sinful...it's a rebellion against God's perfect will, and instead putting how WE think OUR day should go in its place. My will instead of God's will. Right?

It's so easy, and we do it all the time without even realizing it! If something just doesn't go the way you wanted to, try to remember the words of Jesus:

"Not as I will, but as you will."

4 comments:

Keith M. said...

Wow, haven't been on blogs for a long time, nice to see you're still updating (sorta) ;)

Emily said...

hey keith! yeah, I kinda stopped updating when everyone stopped blogging...the few people who do read my blog i guess took a break from blogging so i figured there was little need to keep updating. Hopefully people will come back for the summer. :) I'll try to write a new post soon. good to hear from you again!

Keith M. said...

Yeah, I think facebook pretty much replaced blogging. (Although I'm not quite sure why) you know cause with a blog you can actaully post something....facebook is sorta this, "Hey let's be friends and add a bunch of applications." ;)

Emily said...

exactly...i don't have a facebook, and don't really want one because there's some not-so-good things out there that i don't care to see. Plus you can't really write out your thoughts about things on there. So i'm just sticking to blogging and e-mailing even though they're not very popular anymore. lol