...In the fourth watch of the night he [Jesus] came to them, walking on the sea. But when the disciples saw him walking on the sea, they were terrified, and said, "It is a ghost!" and they cried out in fear. But immediately Jesus spoke to them, saying, "Take heart; it is I. Do not be afraid." And Peter answered him, "Lord, if it is you, command me to come to you on the water." He said, "Come." So Peter got out of the boat and walked on the water and came to Jesus. But when he saw the wind, he was afraid, and beginning to sink he cried out, "Lord, save me!" Jesus immediately reached out his hand and took hold of him, saying to him, "O you of little faith, why did you doubt?" And when they got into the boat, the wind ceased. And those in the boat worshiped him, saying, "Truly you are the Son of God."
Isn't it amazing how similar this actual event is to salvation and life as a Christian? Jesus came to the disciples on the water, and he called Peter to come to Him. Notice Peter doesn't come on his own; Jesus tells him to come. Similarly, we sinners cannot come to Christ on our own; Christ must call us to come to him first. When Peter was on the water, when he kept his eyes fixed on Christ, he did not sink. But it was only when he became afraid of the wind and waves did he start to sink. As Christians, we must always keep our eyes fixed on Christ our entire life. If we look elsewhere for hope and guidance when trials come, we will "sink" and go astray. We must always turn back to Christ, and if we cry out to Him with a humble heart to save us, he is always there, willing to do so!
Tell me if you think I'm looking too much into this passage...I just thought this was interesting.
~Emily
6 comments:
Thank you so much, Emy! You are most definitely NOT reading too much into it. I've been going through some very hard times lately (more than just my uncle), and this is exactly what I needed to hear. I think that I've been trying to find a simple "if I do this it'll be all better again" answer. I've really lost sight of the fact that it's all in God's hands.
God's timing is so perfect! He knew I really needed this, so He gave you the insight. He NEVER ceases to amaze me.
have you read Pilgams Proges? ive bein reading that and it is realy incouriging i defintle recomend it.
yes pilgrim's progress is very good. i have not read it all, just parts of it but i really need to read it all the way through.
nope, I've never read Pilgrim's Progress, but i've been wanting to. I'll probably start it once i finish one of the books i'm working on.
and i'm so glad to hear that jane! i hope you find rest from your trials in Christ.
I think I'm starting to see the light.
I've never read Pilgrams Progress, but I've only ever heard wonderful things about it.
it is a wonderful book! you should read it!
Post a Comment