Monday, May 14, 2007

"Band of Bereans"

"Now these Jews who were more noble than those in Thessalonica; they recieved the word with all eagerness, examining the Scriptures daily to see if these things were so." Acts 17:11

Since we are humans living in this world, I'm sure we all agree that it is practically impossible to get away from hearing and seeing worldly talk and lies. Maybe if we hid in our closet all day and just came out to go to church, just maybe we could avoid most of the worldly stuff that would come across our path otherwise. Well, since that sounds very impractical, we just have to face the untruth that comes upon day by day and trust in the Holy Spirit to give us the strength to give us wisdom and discernement.

Since the above is very obvious to us, here's something that you may not think about often. Do we use discernement in church or other places we hear God's Word taught? It is very easy for us to think that since the speaker says he/she is a Christian, everything they say is true, and we can readily apply their applications to our lives. Well, what if what they're teaching is not Biblical? If you hear someone teach something that is not backed up by scripture, or if they take a verse out of context, you need to remember to be like the Bereans in Acts 17. Be diligent in examining the Scriptures to make sure what you hear is true! This can also be applied to Christian books you may be reading, or a preacher you may see on TV. There are false prophets and teachers everywhere, so be and "Band of Bereans" (as Steve Camp says) and make sure that what Christian teachings you are hearing are in accordance with the Bible.

~Emily

9 comments:

Jane said...

Once again,Emily, you hit the groundhog right on the noise! You always have to be on guard for false teaching even in your own church. It almost seems kind of sad, but it keeps us sharp. My old Sunday school teacher liked it when we would question him (wheather we were right or not)because then he knew we were really thinking about it. He taught us very well how to be on our guard. I'm very thankful for that because it has come in handy several times in my recent teenage years.

Keith M. said...

Yeah, the sunday school teacher for our adult sunday school class is really good. He can come across a little upset if you get the wrong answer, but he isn't afraid to tell you. Which is good because I want to know if my answer isn't correct.

Anonymous said...

yes. i have met quiet a few teachers that don't teach right. but you also have to remember that not everyone interparets the Bible the same way, which does not mean they are not Christian, just means they think diff. like you and me sweetie.

Emily said...

yes, that's right...I agree with all three of you.

And Beth, you're right cuz if the Bible doesn't go into detail about some things, and some people interpret it differently, then you just have to leave it at that.

Jane said...

Right. There's no point in argueing about a small detail (as long as it's not a matter of salvation.) It causes strife and divisions in the church. I've seen many relationships ruined over a small theological matter. Not everyone has the same views about everything. Am I being clear and (somewhat) sensible?

Anonymous said...

Emily how old ru again???? you cant be 15!!! you amaze me you are such a encouragement to me!!!!i love you dearly! cant wait till i see you!

Keith M. said...

I think that if you don't analyze and search the scripture to see if the teachings of people in your church are true...then you might as well be a puppet on strings. =D

Emily said...

yeah, that's right. You just can't follow every wind of doctrine that comes your way and accept it as being true. You have to prove it with the scriptures.

And yup, I'm 15...turning 16 in 2 months. Thank you so much, Faith; but I'm still in the beginning stages of learning. There's SO many things to learn about God, it never ends! God continues to mold His children into the image of Christ their entire lives.
I'm very glad that I've been encouraging to you, though! Love you, Faith. I can't wait to see you either!!!

Anonymous said...

yes i know you or i will never stop learning but isint that jus great to thinkg about!