Saturday, July 29, 2006

What came to mind...

While I was reading the "Real men and women" post on the twiggsters, this one item in the list kind of stood out to me:

…does not compete for equality with men or chafe at God’s design for male and female, but delights in and understands the importance of her calling to complement man’s role.
(1 Timothy 2:11-12, Ephesians 5:22-24)
(^these are very good verses...be sure to look them up!^)

You may think this is strange, but the first thing that came to mind for some reason was the American Girl magazines. I don't have anything against them (besides the fact that they're pro-abortion...but that doesn't have anything to do with this) or anything, but sometimes they encourage girls to stand up for themselves and try to prove that some girls can be the same or even better or stronger than boys. I actually used to agree with this (but i never really gave it much thought), but when reading this, it made me realize that God designed women for certain things and men for certain things and that they shouldn't compete for equality. Women weren't created to be equal or above men, but to compliment a man's role and that women should be satisfied with this.

Well, I learned something from this and there are many other very good points on that list as well. Please tell me if I'm wrong about anything. I'm still learning. =)
~Emily

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

i agree

Nichi said...

Hmm...I agree, sort of.
But I do believe women should stand up for themselves and not be taken advantage of by evil men. Some men think women are weak and fragile and cant defend themselves. I totaly disagree with that. Even in the Bible, in times of great trial and tribulation God used women to take mens places. Just because some of the men were cowardly and wouldnt do the job.
I know this comment sounds hostile... But this is a subject that is close to me. I grew up with a bunch of boys, so of course I had to prove myself "worthy" enough to play or even talk to them. I do lean towards the "woman can be equals" even though I know it's not true.
But I do think the opposite sex should not underestimate us.

Nichi said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Nichi said...

Oh, I forgot. I think God see's everybody equally. All sinners.

Anonymous said...

You're exactly right...girls shouldn't try to overpower men, but they should still live according to the Bible and not just act lazy like they can't do anything and make all the men do everything cuz they're too "weak". They're perfectly capable of doing certain things...*coughmowingcough*

;)

Nichi said...

I never ever mowed in my whole entire life...I'm allergic to freshly mowed grass.

Anonymous said...

i'd like to know where in the Bible Christina sees women getting the job done when the men were too cowardly. It's not that I don't believe you, I'm just trying to think of an example and can't come up with one! so if you could give me one or two passages, i'd really appreciate it.

I will say this... God designed women as the weaker sex. Eve was created by God to be Adam's helper. this of course does not mean women cannot be strong and do important things, but God designed men and women differently for a purpose. we are not equal.

And I must disagree with the comment that God sees everybody equally. we all stand under God's wrath as sinners. But he especially loves those whom he has sent his son to die for. (Jesus did not die for every single person, only for those whom God has chosen) You are either a child of God or a child of Satan. Of course, it is nothing in us that MERITS salvation but only by God's grace he has chosen to love us as his own children.

Anonymous said...

Amen!

:D

Anonymous said...

YES YES!!! Katherine is SOOOOOOO right! i wanted to say that, but couldn't find the words! i'm glad you did Kate!!!! and i would like the passages to plez.

Nichi said...

Katherine,

Deborah, Judges 4-5 and Jael.
I understand when you disagreed with my last comment. And I know that Jesus died for only the chosen few, and not for every singele person. I can't argue with what you said because it's true. But... What I ment about God seeing us equally is that he see's us all as sinners. Even the chosen christian's are sinners, we are not perfect in his sight. Thats what I meant, I guess I didn't put out to much detail on it.
I still think a sinner is a sinner, christian or not. But yes I also know he loves those who he has chosen.
Shed more light on it Katherine...I agree with you...but then I don't really.

Anonymous said...

I know you knew that, Christina, I was just trying to expand and clarify it a little. God sees us all as sinners, that is true. There is NO ONE who seeks after God, we all have sinned and fall short of his glory. But when God looks at His children THROUGH Christ's righteousness (which is what we recieve at salvation) we are seen as pure and undefiled! He has taken our sins (though they be red as crimson) and made them white as snow through the blood of the lamb. So even though we still sin, (and still need to repent of it daily) and even though our best works are nothing but filthy rags before a holy God, we are seen as sinless through the Savior, because Jesus Christ is interceding for us before God's throne with groans that words cannot express. Soli Deo Gloria!!! (To God Alone be the Glory!)
Katherine